Working on New Hubzilla Templates & Themes
I am planning on creating a new Hubzilla template/theme that is a cross between redbasic and an updated version of Bootstrap’s free SB Admin theme. TL;DR
: Here are my ideas and if you want to help me create this, I will be creating a git repository that we can collaborate on. (Continue reading if you want to know more.)
I would like to make the new template as versatile as possible. We might eventually need to make multiple configurations because there are many distinct use cases, such as:
- Solo Hubs - The focus is on the channel, and every channel can have its own unique theme (like how you can customize the colors on redbasic). Similar to how redbasic works now.
- Forum Websites - Navigation is similar to a traditional forum, with multiple forum areas. You can easily view and switch between all of the forum channels on the same website. The focus is on the website and the fact that it has multiple forum channels.
- Public Hubs - Similar to solo hubs, but some additional navigation to the hub home page and other pages the hub operator wants to highlight. The public hub operator has more control over common navigation sitewide.
- Multi-Author Blog - Additional navigation for finding and navigating public content. Add pages and navigation that turn the site into a multi-author website, listing content from multiple channels on the main website.
I know a lot of this can be accomplished via the PDL Editor, but having pre-configured themes for each use case would make things easier for site owners. Ideally, we will just make one theme that adapts based on certain configuration settings.
Some of the things I want to work on are:
- Usability for non-techy users.
- Responsive design that works well on both mobile and desktop.
- Social media posts look like social media posts.
- Forum posts look like forum posts
- Articles look like blog posts.
- Navigation according to each use case above.
- Design it so that the PDL Editor and Apps still work as intended.
- It is compatible with Bootstrap code examples (containers, grids, panels, cards, etc.).
Back in the old days, before Facebook, we had independent forums, and that is where discussions were held. There were dedicated individuals that would set up forum software, and grow communities. So part of my focus will be to make the forum website, public hub, and multi-author blog more community-oriented while leaving the solo hub style to focus solely on individual channels (like it is now). I think if we foster communities that go beyond individual forum channels, we would make Hubzilla stickier and can draw people off of the major platforms.
As I mentioned in the TL;DR above, I plan on setting up a git repository for said template/theme. If anyone wants to contribute, that would be awesome. We definitely can get it done faster if we work on it together.
But even if you can’t contribute, I would still love your ideas and feedback, so I can tailor the template/theme appropriately. Thank you.